Monday 4 January 2016

A sum up of 2015 and the year ahead...

"I don't want to blow it again..."

How many times have we though this when it comes to a new year?

So if you are anything like me, the thoughts you had at the end of 2015 were the same as at the end of 2014, and probably 2013, etc...  I'm really good at setting goals for myself and just not following through. But that's OK, we're all human after all.

This years seems to be the first Christmas where I have let myself take time off with the family and properly chilled out. Even if it has meant that the sofa now has an imprint of my bum in it and I now feel a little bit like I might develop agoraphobia. I've had a nice time, it's been relaxing.

But now it's time to wipe away the mince pie crumbs, find my running trainers and get back on it. Those miles aren't going to run themselves. Looking at my calendar I have at least 12 events planned and I am sure that will have doubled by the end of the year. This is what I do now. It's what defines me and at the start of this New Year I have to take a moment to reflect back.

2015 was a fantastic year for me, there were many mud races, half marathon's, marathons, many 10k's and one Ultra. But it wasn't without it's challenges. I learnt a lot last year...

My first proper break down mid-race.

Yorkshire Marathon this year for me was the toughest run I have ever faced. Full of a six week steaming cold, wiped out and under trained I was advised against it but stubbornness prevailed. Mile 5 saw me wanting to quit, and this was the theme for the rest of the race. If it wasn't for my super human most fabulous group of running friends formed from the York Rose Runners I would have bailed. But what did I learn; that I'm stronger than I think, and if others believe in you it's much easier to believe in yourself.

My first Ultra marathon

Well that was fun, no actually it was. 31.5 Walkers crisp munching, ice cream licking miles of the beautiful North Yorkshire coast line and all to support Scarborough and Ryedale Mountain Rescue - heros that they are! Yes it was hard. But it's another thing ticked off that ever growing bucket list and one more thing that I thought I would never achieve!

Two races in one day...

Vale of York Half marathon, a flat and fast paced half followed by what can only be descirbed as runnning insanity. After finishing the Half Marathon we hot footed it over to Huddersfield with an hour to spare where we changed at the side of the road into Wonder woman (appropriate!) to complete Wineathlon - a 9 mile wine fueled trail run, preferably in fancy dress. The four of us donned our mini skirts and tiara's and went for it. Never before have I been passed at mile 4 by a very inebriated Elvis in Nike running trainers. Lesson learnt - Running and Alcohol. Never one to mix, but hilarious fun and signed up again this year!

So from a few firsts to setting no firsts for 2016... I am setting myself no goals for 2016 apart from to enjoy my year of fitness. Every year since I lost the weight I've tried to achieve something new, and  in some respects, prove a point. This year is just about enjoying myself and the friends I have made through this fab sport. I'm sure at some point through the year I'll get bored and decide I need a challenge to sink my teeth into but for now I am just enjoying what the year has in store...

So see you in 2016, good luck with whatever your challenge may be...




No comments:

Post a Comment